Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Crocheting with Hemp

Anyone that crochet’s or knows a person who crochet’s knows that crocheters will attempt to crochet with any material that will bend ... so it’s not that surprising that I decided to try crocheting with hemp.  I make jewelry using hemp rope so thought I should trying crocheting with it.  I thought hemp would make a good material for pot scrubbies because of its semi-roughness and flexibility.   I’m sure, however, that I am not the first person to ever think of this... I just didn’t bother to look it up and see.
I made a simple little scubbie which didn’t take much of the rope at all.  The first thing that I noticed was that when hemp is bent and pulled several times it starts to stink...lol  I was trying to decide on a design so I would crochet a little then rip it out, which is how I discovered this.  I just hope that once wet it doesn’t smell horrible!
I also decided that even if this little thing works well, I probably will not be making very many of them... crocheting with hemp is a little rough on the fingers.  It didn’t actually take more than 10 minutes to make though, so maybe I will make more, just not today...lol
2011-03-29_15-01-01_815
Enhanced by Zemanta
     This is the little scrubbie that I made.  I’m not good at writing patterns, but have attempted to write below the pattern for this.



Using a G hook and #48 Hemp ch 13
Row 1: In 4th ch from hook dc, dc in each ch to end (11dc)  ch 3, turn
Row 2:  *sc in next dc, dc in next sc; repeat from * to end (11 stitches) ch 1, turn
Row 3:  *dc in next sc, sc in next dc; repeat from * to end (11 stitches) ch 3, turn
Row 4-7:  Repeat rows 2 and 3 twice more
Row 8:  Repeat row 2 with the exception of ch 3 then turn
Row 9:  dc across, finish off
Weave in beginning and ending tail



5 comments:

  1. let me know how that works...I would imagine as when you wear it daily that as it's meant to be worn it will take on the smell around it.

    Good to see you and glad I stopped by. I fondly remember our project we started, hooking for a cause. Such a shame that people couldn't stay together as friends even after the cause that brought us together when aside. I do miss those times online with everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...LOL I was just over at your blog poking around...hehehe like minds and all that! I miss everyone also. I was not online much for several months and seems everyone has drifted apart for various reasons.

    I've never had any issues with hemp jewelry smelling funny, like you said it tends to pick up the smells around it... I think because it is so porous. I am hoping that will be the case with this little dish scrubbie, I don't want it to make my kitchen smell funny! I will definitely do an update after I've had the chance to use it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the best source for the #48 Hemp yarn you used? That sounds like exactly what I've been looking for; rough but flexible. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!
    www.indigohousehistory.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually buy hemp from Michael's or Hobby Lobby, and even though I can't remember exactly where I got the hemp I used for this dish scrubbie I know it was one of those two places. I don't remember which brand though, and don't have the wrapper for it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This known makes the patterns look so much more appealing, you know exactly what to do. I am going to start with all the abbreviations. mycrochetpattern

    ReplyDelete

Share: